Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 24-26: A lot of dealing

Wednesday was the start of eight straight working days for me.  It was the $2,500 6-handed No Limit Hold 'em tournament.  Amy started with dealers whose last names start with D, so I was right near the bottom of the list and I did not get an assignment to start the tournament.  However, I did get to push into the Black section, which meant that I would be dealing the tourney all day.  The only interesting thing that happened all day was that I had a pot where a woman moved all-in with AA and was called by a guy with Q Q.  The flop came K Q 4 giving the queens a set, but giving the aces a flush draw.  The turn and river were the 10 and 5, doubling the aces with a flush.

On Wednesday morning my Uncle Mick from Alaska called me up and told me that he was staying at the Rio for the Seniors event and asked if I wanted to meet for breakfast Thursday morning.  So I met up with him, his son Michael, and their friend at the Sao Paolo Cafe and had my favorite breakfast dish, Eggs Benedict.  It was great to see him again and to finally meet Michael, who has won a $10K buy-in televised WPT event in Reno.  They told me a few poker war stories and I told them a few of mine too.  We had a lot of fun.

Thursday's tournament was $1,500 No Limit Hold 'em and Amy started with the letter B, giving me a prime location where I was assured of dealing the tournament all day!  I dealt to Liv Boeree, but she was short stacked and not in a chatty mood.  The most interesting thing that happened all day was getting a player all-in w/ K-K against A-A and flopping a king to double him up.

Friday was the $1,000 Seniors No Limit Hold 'em.  The tournament was pretty fun to deal as most of the players were friendly and talkative.  My first table featured the defending champion of the event, Harold Angle.  They tried to do the pledge of allegiance before the event started, but first "Oklahoma" Johnny Hale, then his daughter screwed it up.  It was lame and hilarious at the same time.  The event was the largest live single day starting event in history, with 3,752 entrants!  Every table in the Rio was used for the tournament and one thing about the seniors, they are conservative.  Nobody was in a hurry to bust out and consequently, the 2PM Deepstack tourney and both day twos of tourneys from the day before were delayed until 4PM.  I dealt my first straight flush of the tournament when a player tabled 5 2 to perfectly match my board of A J 4 3 A!  I dealt ten downs of the seniors tournament and then I was assigned to start the 6PM Deepstack tournament.  I needed to drop Matt off at the airport at 7, but nobody came to push me off of my table.  Good thing Cheng, who roomed with Matt last year, was staying at our place and carpooling with us.  He borrowed my keys and took Matt to the airport while I dealt for two hours before my relief came.  I was pretty happy with fourteen downs.

This weekend is another $1,500 and $1,000 Hold 'em.  Should be extremely busy.  Hopefully I get a lot more tournament downs in!

1 comment:

  1. "It was lame and hilarious..." Love it! Good luck finishing out the 8 days!

    ReplyDelete