Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 45-46: Deepstack and Mega Satellites

On Wednesday I had my choice of assignments, since Amy started with the letter A.  I wanted to do day two of the $1,500 No-Limit tournament, but only two people had chosen it so far.  If a table is at either edge of the room, it stands a much larger chance of being broken than if it is somewhere in the middle.  So I went the safe route and chose the 2PM Deepstack instead.  It turned out to be a good choice as I saw several other B's turning in their downcards to the cage early in the day (meaning their table had been broken).

I started on table 11 in the Black section, and six and a half hours later I was waiting to push into table 21.  It was the highest numbered table still remaining and looked as if it was about to break any minute.  I went to Jena, who was the evening Dealer Coordinator, told her that 21 was about to break, and asked her if I could just push into table 1 instead.  She agreed and I ended up being stuck at table 1 for three downs and stuck in the tournament for a total of five more downs, bringing me to a new high of sixteen for one day!  I was finally sent home just as the tournament made the money, with 72 remaining out of the 745 player starting field. 
 
With around 95 players remaining, there was a huge hand at my table.  The blinds were 3,000/6,000/500 and a player in early position raised to 25,000.  The player to his right called and another player called as well.  Then another player pushed all-in for 69,000 total.  The first raiser called, as did the first caller.  The second caller asked how much they had left, but eventually folded.  The flop came K Q 7 and the first raiser pushed his remaining 8,000 into the pot.  The other player called and the first all-in player disgustedly flipped over J J.  The other all-in player then showed 3 3 and the caller showed 4 4.  The first all-in player suddenly realized that he was ahead and let out a yell of excitement.  The turn and river came 8 and A and he more than tripled up!  The funny part was that the player who folded after calling the 25,000 said that he also could not have beaten the jacks even with an ace, king, and queen on the board.  What the hell did he have?

When the field reached less than 80 players, the big stack at my table really abused the money bubble.  As everyone played tighter to ensure making it into the money, he started raising every hand to steal the blinds and antes.  He was even 3-betting preflop when others raised and making them lay their hands down.  Finally a short stack 3-bet all-in for about 34,000 over his raise of 17,000 and he reluctantly called.  The short stack showed 4 4 and he showed A 2.  The flop came K 10 4 and the short stack yelled "YES!".  But poker can be a cruel game and I can be a cruel dealer.  The turn and river were the Q and J and the big stack made a straight to eliminate the short stack.

Thursday was Day 1A of the Main Event.  After much excitement and anticipation, my day was a big letdown.  Amy started with the letter C, so I was screwed.  I started at 11AM and my first assignment didn't come until 1:30.  I pushed into the 1PM Mega Satellite for three downs, then I went on break and was sent to start the 4PM Mega Satellite.  I was sent to a break table, so a half hour into it I went on break again.  I came back from break, dealt two tables and went on break again.  I'm here to make money, not spend my whole damn day on break!  When I came back, the 6PM shift had taken over and I was sent home.  It was a lousy day, but I did deal to Darus Suharto and Leif Force.  Hopefully today is a much better day, since Amy should be starting on W!

No comments:

Post a Comment