Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 47-48: Finally Dealing the Main Event

Instead of starting with the letter W on Friday, Amy started with M, so I again missed out on dealing the Main Event.  I was assigned to deal the 1PM Mega Satellite, but my table was broken pretty quickly.  I asked Amy if there was any possibility of staying in tournaments instead of cash and she told me to come back at 3:25 if that's what I wanted.  It was only around 2:40, but I gladly took a long break in order to stay in tournaments.  Amy actually hooked me up too, as I got six consecutive downs dealing the 4PM Mega to salvage my day.

I was coming down with a head cold, and feeling increasingly sick as the day went on.  By Friday night I was in pretty bad shape with a headache, stuffy nose, and all that fun stuff.  My roommate Marc gave me some vitamin C pills and those helped quite a bit.

I went in early Saturday and that was almost a huge mistake.  When I walked into the break room, Amanda, one of the dealer coordinators, was standing with her back to me talking to some other 11AM dealers.  Carl was behind her, saw me, and frantically waved at me to leave.  I didn't need to ask any questions; I just spun around and walked away as quickly as I could.  Carl thought she was pulling dealers to go to cash, but it turned out that she was forcing dealers to clock in early to deal the 10AM Mega Satellite, which still would have screwed me out of dealing the Main Event for the third day running.  As I walked through the Pavilion Room later in the day, I saw most of those dealers in the cash section.  It sucks when showing up early to work gets you a raw deal.

Amy started with Z, so I finally got a prime spot in the Amazon Room for Day 1C of the Main Event.  Marco Traniello was at my first table, where I dealt out the hand of the series so far.  On the third hand of the tournament, I put out a board of 9 8 7 J A.  One player showed 6 5 for a straight flush and the other player showed Q 10 for a higher straight flush!  It was pretty amazing.


Later I dealt to Bernard Lee and got my second hand of the WSOP on PokerNews.  Five players saw a flop of A A 9 and everyone checked.  The turn was the 4 and one player bet.  Bernie raised and the guy hemmed and hawed before calling.  The river was the J and the guy bet out more confidently.  The guy was short stacked; they start with 30,000 chips and he only had 6,000 or so left.  Bernie raised him all-in and the guy snap called with A 9.  But Bernie had A J and a better full house to eliminate him.

I also dealt to Gavin Smith.  I gave him a bad beat when I put out a board of 10 9 9 7 7 when he held K K against 10 9.  If I keep this stuff up I'm going to get a reputation at the WSOP!

2 comments:

  1. With the last hand were they all-in preflop? If not I wouldn't call it a bad beat when the other guy got a set on the flop, that's just normal poker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it was, but it still feels like a bad beat to me when someone beats your pair with two undercards. But obviously not a bad beat like it would be if it was all-in preflop. They never did get it all-in, but Gavin lost around 1/5th of his stack.

    ReplyDelete